Saturday, February 13, 2010

The Philosophy of Painting & Life



Today I did some painting in my own home. I actually really enjoy painting, but only because I do it on my own terms.

OK, before you yawn and click away, let me tell you a little about how I paint. There is no tedious taping. no drop cloths. No pushing all the furniture into the middle of the room. No messy rollers and trays. Just one gallon of paint and a stubby paint brush. I may paint for 20 minutes or 3 hours, the point for me is that I am doing the painting. The project is getting done.

I have freinds who have lovely houses with not a lick of the walls painted since they moved in years ago. Usually they say its just such a big task to tackle, they never have enough time, energy, or motivation to undertake such a big project. Well, I have an acute lack of all three of those as well, and yet my house is slowly becoming a cozy, colorful abode instead of keeping that stark white institution look.

I have a sort-of philosophy in life. Nike stole it from me about 15 years ago but I still hold it as mine... Just Do It.

If there's one thing I can't stand its wasting time to get something started. I have a motivation problem (do they make a support group for that?), so when I get in the "mood" to do something, I need to do it NOW. To me, all the set up that most people think is necessary to start a paint job is a non-issue. Just grab a brush and get going for God's sake! Or else you may never find the time to go through all the steps you supposedly need to get to the final result.

The thing is, this philosophy holds true in so many other areas of life and business. We hear all the time about "analysis paralysis" and "fence sitters" and people who get lost in the prep work only to give up and never make it to the actual meat, the fun part of the project. Why in the world would anyone beat themselves down on the minutia of start up details when really all they need is a good brush and a bucket of paint?

Of course, it is true that I have painted a wall or two, or several dozen, before. True, someone who's never held a brush should absolutely take more precautions and do some practicing. But this is not rocket science, and the things most of us do in life and business are not either. It shouldn't take too much prep for even a newbie to be ready to dive in and get started. Anyone who does suffers from one of the two other afflictions that should also have support groups: Fear and Laziness.

Keep it simple, people. Most projects and business endeavors need not be so monumental that you just don't want to think about getting started, and so never do. Do yourself a favor. Buy a little paint, dig out your brush, do a quick test run or research if you feel the need, and then JUST DO IT. You'll figure out the best methods and your own style as you go, and you'll actually be making progress as you figure it out instead of waiting for everything to be set up just right before you even begin.

Oh, and yes, sometimes my walls are half-painted, a project in limbo, for days, months, even (my dirty secret) years, but at least I made progress. I got started. That's more than many of my friends can say, and more than so many others out there can say about starting any number of things. If you wait for everything to be ready and perfect, you're probably going to be waiting a very, VERY long time. Action, even action that may be a bit messy and unprofessional in the beginning, is better than inaction. Everything else can be learned or fixed as you go along.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks a lot for sharing this nice post!You’ve done really excellent job!

    ReplyDelete