Friday, July 3, 2009

Are you working on your financial Independence Day too?

Back in January I set a few broad goals for the year. Not too specific since I'm still feeling my way through this business and wanted flexibility to change things as needed. My two main goals were to quit my job and buy a multifamily building of 4 or more units. Hooray for achieving goal #1! Not exactly the way I had planned it, but still, I've been blissfully free to do my own thing for over a month now. As for goal number two... well, for it already being July and I've made nearly zero progress on that one, I'm not so confident it will happen. Don't worry, I'm not giving up. Not at all. Six months is still plenty of time if I buckle down. But I'm also okay with it if I fail to meet that goal this year. Things change and life sometimes creates new priorities, so I'm not going to beat myself up over not making my own self-imposed deadline.

With tomorrow being the 4th of July, America's Independence Day (how'd that get here so fast?), I'm sure many of you are reflecting on what we are doing with our own independence, or maybe how we're going to gain it. I know I am. I'm a voracious reader, and the more books I read on money, real estate, and personal fulfillment the more I strengthen my belief deep in my core that I must become completely free and independent of that which holds most of us back from achieving our dreams, MONEY. As Kiyosaki frequently tells us, money is just an idea, a concept. If we let something as easy to change as a concept hold us back from reaching our full potential, how will we ever be free from the more physical restraints in our lives?

My financial independence is coming. I know it will happen and feel it slowly happening every day. This second half of the year will require a lot more hard work in a totally new way for me, but with some diligence I should be well poised to make next year a spectacular one. And next year is my husband and my 10 year anniversary. A goal for next year is to take a great trip, preferably out of the country, like we did when we went on our honeymoon to China. A lot of groundwork needs to be laid this year for that to happen. Time to become a true mover and shaker and change my family's lives for the better. Buying a few rental properties is a good start and certainly helps the process, but I need to think about the bigger picture and how I can truly become free from the tyranny of money in the long run.

Who else out there is working on their own independence day? I hope you see the great things to come just as I do!


No comments:

Post a Comment