Friday, June 26, 2009

So apparently I suck at time management.

Man, when I had a J-O-B I thought to myself, "all I need is to get rid of this horrible time-wasting job and I'll have all the time I need to finally get things done!"

Nearly one month after fulfilling that dream, I still have no time. There's just never enough. I seriously don't know how I gained 9 more hours in my day and yet still accomplish so little!

I started out with a plan. Really, I did. Sounded like a good plan on paper. I would spend my early mornings doing emails, then get out of the house to either run errands, take the kids someplace fun, visit properties or drive around neighborhoods looking for possible property leads. I would alternate the activities on different days. Then we'd come home, get the kids some lunch, put the little one down for a nap, and I'd start make phone calls and send more emails for the rest of the afternoon. Seemed perfect, but in reality it is just too much to cram into one day, every day.

My online stuff takes much longer than I time-budgeted for. Between multiple email accounts, social networking, blogging, reading articles, doing internet searches, etc I can easily fill up the entire day just sitting in front of my computer. Which is NOT what I envisioned me doing when I left my cubicle where I just sat in front of the computer.

On my list of things that aren't getting done: go to the bank and deposit some checks, call back some potential tenants for one of my properties, do searches for specific property types in the area to send letters to, go to the store to buy an ink cartridge so I can print some forms and return them to a Realtor that's asking for them, figure out a better system of organizing my leads, take the kids to the Library to get library cards and books, and many others I'm sure.

I need a new plan. I'm thinking about trying to designate certain days for specific activities, but having two kids at home makes that a bit more difficult since I am often limited to scheduling things around meals, naps, play time and the incessant need to break up the "Whaaaa!!! He stole My toy and pulled my shirt!!!" fights.

I used to consider myself a great multi-tasker. Give me a pile of work and I'll tackle it all at the same time. Now with undefined work and undefined times of doing it, I have turned into a disorganized mess. My husband even rightly teases me for not being able to do a simple load of laundry while I work from home. I mean to, I just get distracted and time slips away then before you know it he's coming home and the laundry never made it to the basket! (obviously he didn't marry me for my homemaking skills!) Not to mention I never left my computer and very few phone calls were made. Arggggg, how does the time get away?

So, I'm working on a new plan. It may take a while for me to find my right grove, but I'm trying to come up with something workable immediately if not permanently. I know I'll figure it all out eventually, after all, many other people in similar positions have figured it out and area doing well. I just get frustrated when the goals I set for myself need to be readjusted so drastically. But, if the system isn't working then its time to get a new one. There's no way I want to be still floundering at this time-management thing in another month. I'm up for any ideas and suggestions if you all have them!



3 comments:

  1. Melody - you make me laugh only because I COMPLETELY relate. I also thought I would be able to conquer the world once I could focus full-time. I found the transition from have 2 fulltime jobs (one in the corporate world and one as an investor) to just focusing exclusing on my real estate business MUCH more challenging that I ever thought. Best of luck to in getting your day completely organized - when you figure it out, please share with the rest of us!!

    Angela Phebus

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Melody, I just stumbled across your blog recently. I'm in pretty much the same boat as you. I do the SAME THING.

    In my case, I find that the computer (especially blogs and social networking) are the time suckers. While I have not mastered this yet, I realize that I need to prioritize, and for me, these things aren't VITAL to me doing actual deals. I just like it!

    So, even tho there's a legitimate purpose for doing these things, I need to do the 'MUST DO' things before I even LOOK at my computer. Write down the Must-Do's for the day, and don't allow yourself on FB, blogs, etc. until those are done.

    As I said, I have not mastered this myself! I'm working toward it though!

    Anyway, nice meeting another investor in the 'medium' category. Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Jodi. Putting money in the bank or any equivalent task (getting tenants in your houses) is definitely a MUST DO. Neglect those tasks and it's back to the cubicle for you. After the money is in the bank, then you can do the tasks that will help you get more money in the bank (social networking, looking at deals).

    The two-part solution is to 1. have a great calendar and priority system and 2. stick with it. If you've determined that social networking isn't your top priority and you don't get it all done, don't worry since it's not your top priority.

    ReplyDelete